What is a Mission Statement?
A Mission Statement defines what your business is and why it exists. It attempts to capture, in a few simple sentences, the fundamentals of your business's goals and the experience you intend to create for customers, employees, and the community.
Why is writing a Mission Statement important?
Small businesses need to differentiate themselves from competitors. One way to accomplish this is to communicate a mission of quality and focus on the customer experience. Writing a personal mission statement or a mantra for your business can enhance customer perceptions of your business, be a competitive differentiator and align employees with what your overall focus is as a business!
How do big brands do it?
Big brands we all know and love have been writing Mission Statements for years. Here are a few that you may recognize:
In addition, several brands, like Zappos take it a step further with outlining core values:
Zappos 10 Core Values:
- Deliver WOW Through Service
- Embrace and Drive Change
- Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
- Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
- Pursue Growth and Learning
- Build Open and Honest Relationships With Communication
- Build a Positive Team and Family Spirit
- Do More With Less
- Be Passionate and Determined
- Be Humble
How do you write your own?
Start by defining who you are. And ask yourself the following questions:
- Who are your customers?
- What is the product or service you offer your customers?
- What sets you apart from your competitors?
- What makes you "you"?
- What is it that you would like customers to remember after visiting your business?
- How do you want your customers to feel about interacting with your employees?
- What is the personality of your business?
- What sort of customer experience do you offer?
- How do you give back to the community and make a difference?
- What are the goals of your business that you want employees to value?
Once you have outlined these unique qualities about your business, write 3 versions and pick the one that best represents you and your business.
Here are a few examples:
Example Mission Statement for a Pizza shop: Provide our customers with the best pizza and dining experience by making sure we connect with every customer personally, and to exceed their expectations with quality food. As a business we want to make sure that every customer recommends us and comes back again and again.
Example Mission Statement for a Coffee shop: We are determined to become a daily necessity for local coffee addicts, a place to dream of as customers try to escape the daily stresses of life and just a comfortable place to meet your friends or to read a book, all in one. Offering its customers the best prepared coffee in the area that will be complimented with pastries, as well as free books that its patrons can read to enjoy their visit. *Java Culture in Oregon
- Keep it simple and don’t get too wordy.
- Be Authentic. Your Mission Statement is an opportunity to reflect your personality and passion.
- Be Quirky! Your business is unique – showcase your creativity.
- Reference Your Great Service!
- Make guests feel like a priority, and let customers know you value them. Example: Our mission is to thank each guest for the opportunity to serve them and reward customers for their loyalty.
Remember: The Mission Statement reflects every facet of your business, the range of the products you offer, the quality of your service, your relationships with your customers, employees, and even how you give back to the local community. Be original when writing a Mission Statement!
Show us what you come up with! Tweet @bellycard with your new Mission Statement.